Acupressure Points for Self Treatment
Acupressure is not a new healing art. It has been practiced in Asia for over 5000 years ago. It is a simple technique in which fingers and thumb are used to press key healing points which stimulate the body’s natural self-curative abilities. Acupressure therapy is effective in providing relief from tension, anxiety, emotional set back and depression. Acupressure is an ideal therapy for self-treatment and it is a preventive health care treatment. It is helpful in boosting the immune system.
Acupressure can be used in treating any disease. The acupressure points when pressed heal the diseases. They increase circulation of blood , reduce pain and develop spirituality and vibrant health. Acupressure therapy is somewhat similar to acupuncture as both involve healing of points but acupressure is better because it does involve inserting of needles into the body. Acupressure is employed on the same points and meridians which are used in acupuncture. Acupressure is called preventive health care therapy because it helps us to take preventive measures before the onset of a disease. According to doctors of acupressure, diseases occur when there is blockage in the flow of energy or blood from these points. The acupressure points around the meridians start giving signs about interruption in the flow of energy. Those people who come to know about such signals, heal the acupressure points and save themselves from any suffering and do not allow occurance of diseases.
Different acupressure points are located on different positions at various parts on the body. There have been at least ten points on a human body related to each single disease. Only knowledge of acupressure points is required and they can be pressed to reduce pain or cure diseases. When there is an imbalance in the body, a person falls ill. As we press acupressure points, they get stimulated and bring the body to balanced state and ailments are healed. Acupressure therapy strengthens resistance to diseases and promotes wellness. This is a self-help treatment which can be used at any time and place. A patient can do it himself without wasting any money on medicines and doctors.
All types of stress, chronic fatigue, chronic muscular pains, trauma, emotional imbalances, addiction can be treated with this therapy. This is very useful in today’s fast and stressful life. Any person can use this therapy. This therapy is very easy to follow but the results are very positive, effective and immediate. Any old or young person can operate on his body with the help of this therapy. It also saves time as one has to press a particular point for 2 to 3 minutes. Regular use of this technique can totally cure a disease. Points should be pressed gently. Sometimes on applying pressure, pain starts occurring at different parts of the body. This is an indication that those areas related and need to be treated to release blockages. When we press the points, pulse rate becomes fast which indicates that blood circulation has increased.
How to use acupressure in self-treatment:
While massaging acupoints, try to relax in a comfortable position. Close your eyes and breathe deeply. Repeat the massage or press the points as often as you like. More times you press or massage, more you will heal your body.
Important Acupressure Points: Most common problems in today’s world include insomnia, stress, chronic fatigue, emotional and muscular tension. For cure of these diseases, the main acupressure points are given below:
- Gall Bladder 20 (GB 20) or Feng chi: This point is located in mastoid(ear) bone and the groove back to where the muscles of neck attach with the skull. This point should be massaged for 3 to 4 minutes. This point is recommended for headache, migraine, eye blurriness or fatigue, low energy and cold symptoms. These problems are day to day problems and occur almost everyday due to excess of work and tension. If a person is not able to go to a doctor, he can try this acupressure therapy and cure himself by self-treatment.
- Triple Energizer 3 or Zhong Zhu : This acupressure point is located in the groove formed by the tendons of the 4th and 5th finger, behind the knuckles and is used commonly for temporal headache , shoulder, neck tension and upper back pain. As you locate this point, massage with fingers of the other hand. Do this for 4 minutes. Repeat the process on other hand also. This brings a lot of relaxation from neck pain and every day’s fatigue.
- Welcome Fragrance or LI-20: This point is located on both sides of your nose where your nose and cheek meet. As you locate this point, apply moderate pressure with both index fingers on each side of the nose. Hold the position for 3 minutes. This acupressure therapy provides immediate relief from sinus allergies.
- Gate of Spirit or H-7: This acupressure point is common and very effective in relieving one self from emotional issues, specially exessive anxiety and worry. This is also helpful in treating insomnia. This point is located on the palm at the end of the wrist crease. Just below your little finger. As you locate this point, apply moderate pressure with your right thumb on the left hand. Press the point for 5 minutes. Repeat the process on the other hand also.
- Valley of Harmony: This point is located in the center of the web or V between your thumb and index finger. As you locate this point, apply steady pressure with your opposite thumb until you feel a slight soreness and hold the position for 2 minutes. Repeat the process on your other hand . This acupressure point is helpful in giving relief from any sort of pain and is good for strengthening immune system. Mild stimulation of this point can strengthen and revitalize you. This point is also useful for cold and flu, cold hands and feet, eczema, constipation , headaches , sinus problems, sore throat and ulcers. This is very easily accessible point and can be pressed at any time. Regular using of this therapy brings effective and positive results.
- Gall Bladder 44: This point is located on the fourth toe , in the outer corner of the nail. As you locate this point, press it for 3 minutes with your thumb or finger. Repeat the process on the other foot also. This acupressure point is helpful in dealing anger. It enhances decisiveness and good for timidity.
- Large intestine 4(LI 4): This acupressure point is located in the soft, fleshy web that sits between your thumb and forefinger. This point should be pressed for 2-3 minutes everyday with fingers of other hand. This process is effective in boosting immune system, nervous system and overall health of the body.
- Back care self therapy: This point is highly effective in relieving muscular tension in all areas of back. Important points are located along either side of spine and on the upper back. For self back care, lie down on the couple of tennis balls tied in a sock. This will help in releasing tightness associated with lower back pain and sciatica.
Conclusion: Acupressure therapy relaxes the tight muscles that result from emotional stress and trauma. Due to emotional trauma, nerves of the neck become tense causing blockage in th flow of energy. This blockage causes diseases and disorders of nerves as well as insomnia. Acupressure self treatment sometimes cure those diseases which are totally incurable and often leave patients bedridden. So acupressure is a ray of hope for the sufferers throughout the world.